online mba criminal justice
The study of criminal justice within the business management discipline is a relatively new academic development. The best Criminal Justice MBA programs online and through traditional universities offer students an extensive business management background while preparing them to apply management principles in a criminal justice setting. Students will cover areas relevant to effective business administration, such as management theory, economics, and organizational communication. They will complement this coursework by studying areas such as the justice process and institutional organization. Students are meant to graduate from online MBA Criminal Justice programs with the skills to advance to leadership positions in the criminal justice field.
What Does a Criminal Justice MBA Cover?
The majority of the coursework required for an online MBA in Criminal Justice will cover business administration. Then, students will take concentration courses to gain insight into how business management theory can be applied to the highest ranking positions in the field of criminal justice.
Best MBA in Criminal Justice Colleges
La Jolla, CA
|Mount Mercy University||Location
Cedar Rapids, IA
|Southern New Hampshire University||Location
|Union Institute & University||Location
Most of the business courses will be in the area of organizational management and leadership. For example, students may take courses such as Organizational Communication and Interpersonal Development, Managerial Economics, Organizational Marketing, Accounting Issues, Issues in Financial Management, Global Issues, and Political, Social, and Ethical Issues in Business. Students will hone their management skills by examining managerial concepts and examples of the effects various leadership approaches. They will explore the financial aspects of business administration, from budgeting to accounting records. They will also explore management in a modern and global society and seek to understand the legal and ethical issues confronted by those in leadership positions.
Students working toward a Criminal Justice MBA degree online will supplement their business management education with criminal justice specialization courses, such as Criminal Justice Processes and Institutions, Statistics and Research Methods in Criminal Justice, and Criminal Justice Public Policy. Students will explore the field of criminal justice and learn about legal processes. They will study how jails and other institutions function and will explore the inner-workings of criminal investigation, trial and conviction. They will also explore how law-makers and public opinion affect the criminal justice process.
Students will most likely complete some form of independent or group project as part of the degree plan. Many online Criminal Justice MBA schools require a leadership project in which students apply management concepts in a real or hypothetical situation and examine which principles may be relevant.
Masters in business administration online Programs : Accredited Rankings
Top 5 Online MBA Acquisitions Programs : Accredited Rankings
GUIDE: What to Expect in Your Online MBA Program: complete details
Getting Into a Criminal Justice MBA Program
In order to apply for an online Criminal Justice MBA program, students must submit proof of completion of an accredited bachelor’s degree. Most programs require a minimum GPA of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale, but some may require at least a 3.0. At least two letters of recommendation will most likely be required. Students must select former colleagues or professors who can attest to the applicant’s ability to perform at the graduate level, and letter’s should preferably come from at least one immediate supervisor. Applicants must also write and submit a personal goal statement outlining his or her reasons for pursuing an MBA in Criminal Justice. The personal statement should reflect the applicants best writing skills and should demonstrate past experience and future goals. Students will also need to send their GMAT scores in to prospective schools in order to be considered for an MBA online Criminal Justice program. Students who score within the upper percentile in GMAT rankings will have the best chance of acceptance and scholarship opportunities.
Why Should I Get an AACSB Accredited Criminal Justice MBA?
An online MBA in Criminal Justice is an excellent degree option for those who are already employed in the field of criminal justice and would like to start a new career or expand their ability to reach levels of management and leadership within their current organization. Professionals in fields such as law enforcement administration, correctional administration, forensic science and security management would benefit greatly from an MBA Criminal Justice online degree. Students will benefit even further if they choose a Criminal Justice MBA online that has been accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business, or AACSB. The AACSB is a member organization that is dedicated to the promotion of quality business education on a global scale. AACSB is primarily an accreditation organization and employs one of the most rigorous accreditation processes for business schools in the world. An AACSB-accredited online Criminal Justice MBA degree is recognition that your academic program was one of the top programs in the country.
What Jobs Can an MBA Criminal Justice Online Get Me?
- First Line Supervisor of Police and Detectives: First list supervisors work within law enforcement agencies to manage the police, detectives and staff. A great example of Criminal Justice MBA careers that implement both administration and criminal justice, the first line supervisor acts as the administrator for police projects and investigations and makes sure that they agency is functioning up to the best standards on a day-to-day basis. First line supervisors manage and coordinate investigations, maintain department logs and reports, train subordinates, monitor job performance, inform officers of changes and regulations, and authorize officers and detectives for promotions or transfers. First line supervisors help resolve personnel issues and facilitate communication. Candidates must be excellent listeners and communicators and very organized.
- Prison Warden: Prison wardens are in charge of managing entire correctional institutions. Wardens have the responsibility to make sure all members of the institution, including both prisoners and staff, stay safe, and the job can be stressful and dangerous if things get out of control. Wardens are involved in administration of funds, policy planning, staff leadership and building maintenance. They are responsible for hiring and firing staff and represent the final decision when it comes to prisoner handling and placement. Wardens also develop and oversee education and work programs for prisoners. Prison wardens act as the public representative for the correctional institution, speaking with media when necessary and determining what information may or may not be released to press.
- Court Administrator: Court administrators manage the daily operations of a court house and coordinate proceedings between the court, attorneys and general public. Court Administrators also oversee the budget and accounting functions of the courthouse and make sure the court is operating within legal regulations. They manage administration procedures such as pre-trial services, jury services and assignments of attorneys. Court administrators must have at least a bachelor’s degree, but would be well-equipped for promotion and pay raise with a degree at the master’s level. Budget and revenues are a huge part of this position, so business management education is a great fit.
Top Earning Industries for Jobs
The following are examples of Criminal Justice MBA jobs and the average corresponding Criminal Justice MBA salary, according to Payscale.com.
- Local Government: $52,933 to $118,417
- Education, College/University: $46,799 to $71,241
- Prison / Secure Correctional Facility : $52,359 to $106,000
- Local Government: $37,788 to $83,191
How Do I Find Online Criminal Justice MBA Programs?
Because criminal justice is a relatively new dimension to business administration education, and online education, in general, is still very new, it can be difficult to find information about the best Criminal Justice MBA schools online. Finding the right school can be difficult, and there are plenty of degree mills to look out for when it comes to online education. Even locating online Criminal Justice MBA rankings is very difficult. A great way to start a search is to check out the AACSB website. There you will find a search function and an extensive database of AACSB-accredited schools. Many schools offer MBA degree programs online. In fact, Bestbizschools.com, powered by AACSB International offers a list of all online MBA programs that have been accredited by the organization. Although the list does not indicate specific concentrations, this is a great jumping off point to start the search for a program offering an MBA in Criminal Justice online. Once you have found a few online MBA Criminal Justice programs, it is helpful to compare online programs to curriculum requirements at traditional, brick-and-mortar schools. Because traditional schools have a much longer history than online programs, comparing the two course loads will give you a picture as to whether or not an online program seems to be missing any important components.
1 thought on “Online MBA Criminal Justice Programs : Accredited Rankings”