An online information technology MBA program will make you an expert on the ins and outs of computer and information systems and how these systems are used to support business needs in the areas of communication, data, and research. These types of programs combine the disciplines of information technology and business management. On the technical side, an online MBA in information technology focuses on computer science including systems analysis, data communications, and networking and security systems. While on the business side the focus is on related factors like business applications, systems management, and technical communications.
What Does an MBA in Information Technology Cover?
These days all types of businesses, whether small local businesses or large national corporations, use technology to increase efficiency and profitability. Computer systems and networks are used to do almost everything, including running daily operations, conducting sales, managing accounts, and communicating with employees. Given that this is an ever-advancing area of science, businesses have to do what they can to keep up and those that do not are likely to fall behind and suffer as a result. This is one of the reasons why more companies are looking for business-minded individuals who have earned an information technology MBA online.
An MBA in information technology is a graduate program that focuses on business technology. Essentially, it involves every educational aspect of a traditional MBA program with an additional curriculum in information technology. MBA information technology online programs are intense and full of demanding coursework and projects, they are purposed to help students develop the abilities to make rational decisions, solve complex business problems, and develop successful solutions. As exceptional business performance is never achieved by one person alone, these programs often revolve around group efforts and teamwork. To have earned an MBA in information technology online means that you not only have a strong business sense but possess the skills and abilities to manage information resources in the world of professional business. An MBA program with a concentration in this area will emphasise how information technology can be used to build an organization’s profitability, efficiency, and value while addressing topics such as project management, enterprise systems and infrastructure, and dynamic electronic strategies.
mba in information technology distance learning
|Best Tech MBA 2020|
|Business School||MBA graduates Placed in I.T.||Mean/Median Salary||Average GMAT score 2021 class|
|University of Washington Foster School of Business (2018)||60%||1,19,308||695|
|Stanford Graduate School of Business||24%||1,40,000||734|
|Carnegie Mellon University’s: Tepper School of Business||30.50%||1,30,000||687|
|UC Berkeley Haas School of Business||32.90%||1,38,500||725|
|UT Austin: McCombs School of Business||25.90%||1,20,000||704|
|UCLA Anderson (2018)||29.50%||1,23,000||706|
|Northwestern’s Kellogg School of Management||25.10%||1,33,500||730|
|Michigan Ross School of Business||21.60%||1,22,650||719|
|MIT Sloan School of Management||30.70%||1,37,500||727|
|Dartmouth Tuck School of Business||19%||1,26,000||723|
Getting Into an Information Technology MBA Program
To get into an executive MBA program, all applicants must fulfil several requirements, including the need to possess an undergraduate bachelor’s degree with a grade point average of 2.0 or higher. While this bachelor’s degree may be earned in any field, meaning that students did not have to major in business or computer science during their undergraduate studies, it must be from an accredited university. Applicants should also have proficiency in algebra-level mathematics and basic computer functions. Those without a business or computer science background will be asked to complete a set of foundation courses before beginning their MBA studies. Most schools will require GMAT scores in addition to a college transcript, and some may also mandate that students submit an updated professional resume, letters of recommendation, or schedule an interview with a school counsellor. For example, Kaplan University requires that all applicants speak with an advisor before beginning the enrollment process.
- Online MBA in Information Systems – top 10 online mba programs in information systems
- Online MBA in Information Security – top 10 online mba programs in information security
- Online MBA in Human Resources – Top 20 online mba programs in human resources
- top 10 online mba programs in hospitality management
- top 15 online mba programs in health care management
Why Should I Get an AACSB Accredited Information Technology MBA?
Anyone who has a strong interest in computer technology and a desire to work in the field of business should look into earning an information technology MBA degree online. This degree is usually a requirement for any type of management position within an IT department and is applicable to a variety of other related positions of leadership. The most respected and well-known online MBA information technology programs will be those that are accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business. This association only accredits top business schools that provide high-quality education and produce the most qualified students. Therefore, if you want your resume to showcase solid credentials that impress business execs, you should get an AACSB-accredited information technology MBA online.
In general, an MBA program consists of about 48 credits and can take anywhere from one to three years to complete depending on previous education, business course work, and enrollment status as a full-time or half-time student. In an online information technology MBA program you will take the same courses as you would in a traditional MBA program. In the first half of the program, you will initially take core courses that address business fundamentals such as business environment, managerial economics, financial analysis, competitive strategy, fundamentals of managerial accounting, corporate finance, and management communication. These courses are meant to provide you with a solid understanding of business as well as help develop leadership, communication, analytical, and management skills.
The second half of the online MBA information technology program will begin to integrate the IT component through advanced courses that focus on information systems, database management, and strategic information technology planning. Typical course titles may include information technology project management, information systems security, database administration, digital commerce and e-business, managing information assets, computer database applications, Internet programming, and business intelligence and data mining. Information technology MBA programs are a flexible option for those who wish to continue their education without having to put their careers on hold. Classes are taken using a Web platform that allows for quizzes, discussions, and coursework to be completed over the Internet.
best online mba programs for information technology
Avg. Class size
3yr Grad Rate
|Arizona State University||7||61%||3.3||590||61||89%||$1170||$1226|
|Ball State University||14||63%||3.4||539||32||76%||$410||$616|
|Boise State University||24||91%||3.3||550||34||69%||$750||$750|
|Central Michigan University||19||68%||3.3||499||28||72%||$625||$625|
|Colorado State University||35||87%||3.1||453||35||57%||$974||$974|
|Florida Atlantic University||4||73%||3.2||36||93%||$800||$800|
|Florida International University||15||64%||3.3||500||11||74%||$1000||$1000|
|George Washington University||22||80%||3.3||590||38||70%||$1825||$1825|
|Louisiana Tech University||21||73%||3.3||475||30||71%||$412||$412|
|Missouri University of Science & Technology||2||90%||3||620||17||100%||$1200||$1200|
|Oklahoma State University||30||83%||3.3||567||22||61%||$230||$360|
|Southern Illinois University||16||74%||3.4||525||22||74%||$854||$854|
|Stevens Institute of Technology||31||84%||3.3||569||18||61%||$1620||$1620|
|University of Arizona||8||88%||3.3||553||43||85%||$1000||$1000|
|University of Cincinnati||34||64%||3.3||643||51||59%||$964||$1356|
|University of Delaware||17||66%||3.3||593||22||73%||$900||$900|
|University of Florida||3||46%||3.3||588||42||97%||$531||$1255|
|University of Memphis||28||94%||3.4||555||44||64%||$603||$1091|
|University of Michigan||32||50%||3.4||592||28||61%||$908||$1397|
|University of Mississippi||12||31%||3.5||566||39||81%||$810||$810|
|University of Nebraska||33||79%||3.3||609||41||59%||$630||$630|
|University of New Hampshire||29||94%||3.1||550||17||63%||$800||$910|
|University of North Carolina||6||60%||3.2||649||14||90%||$1884||$1884|
|University of North Dakota||27||88%||3.3||585||24||64%||$404||$404|
|University of North Texas||26||60%||3.5||562||20||65%||$325||$767|
|University of Utah||10||66%||3.3||557||44||82%||$1225||$1225|
|University of Wisconsin MBA Consortium||13||85%||3.4||596||25||78%||$775||$775|
|Washington State University||25||60%||3.5||551||26||68%||$813||$813|
|West Texas A&M University||9||76%||3.4||550||40||83%||$335||$365|
|Western Kentucky University||23||88%||3.4||528||16||70%||$707||$707|
What Jobs Can an MBA Information Technology Online Get Me?
- Database Administrators: Database administrators find the most efficient ways to store, organize, and use data through database management software. They analyze an organization’s information technological needs, select the most appropriate computer databases, and work to ensure correct performance of the system. They are responsible for ensuring that systems are performing at optimum level and add people to the system as needed. Database administrators also plan security measures and help their organization maintain data integrity and security. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment within this occupation is projected to increase by 20 percent by 2018.
- Chief Information Officer: Chief information officers supervise the technological direction of an organization. They manage the day-to-day information technology related projects, set budgets for new tools and software, train staff to use computer systems, and recruit top computer specialists and support personnel. To perform effectively, chief information officers must be able to think logically. They make upgrades based on deep knowledge of the workings of the organization. These managers are responsible for proposing budgets for projects and equipment. They make decisions about staff training and assign computer specialists and information technology workers as needed. Chief information officers manage the work of these employees, review their performance, and establish administrative procedures and policies geared towards the company’s overall success.
- Network Architects: Network architects are responsible for designing, recommending and installing computer and information networks. Network architecture ranges from local area networks and wide area networks to intranets, extranets and other communications networks. Network architects also perform network modeling, analysis and planning. They sometimes deign computer security measures and recommend data communications hardware and software to the chief information officer. Many web sites operate correctly and free of interruption because of the efforts of network architects.
Top Earning Industries for Jobs
- Financial Services: $58,354 – $90,057
- Retail: $54,828 – $89,872
- Insurance: $126,808 – $201,902
- Information Technology (IT) Services: $103,926 – $172,101
- Network and Communications Services: $95,000
- Networking Equipment: $107,707
How Do I Find Online Information Technology MBA Programs?
Even harder than deciding what type of MBA you want to pursue, can be finding the school that offers the best online MBA in information technology program for you. The right program will expand your business knowledge and your employment, advancement, and income opportunities. You are going to want to make sure the program is accredited, ranked, and fitting to your personal preferences. Most importantly, you want to find a program that is accredited by a recognized accrediting association, such as the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business. These types of associations thoroughly examine schools to make sure that they meet a high set of standards that are characteristic of quality educational programs.
The ranking is also a helpful aspect when it comes to finding the top programs in your field of interest. Well-respected publications such as U.S. News and World Report, Business Week, and Forbes.com, publish annual rankings of the top-rated colleges and universities. These rankings are commonly based on factors such as student selectivity, academic quality, student-to-faculty ratio, graduation rate, and post-graduation outcome. You can use these publications to find and compare business schools and identify online information technology MBA rankings.
There are several tools that you can use to find the best information technology MBA schools online:
- Best Biz Schools is a Web site powered by AACSB International that allows you to search for online information technology MBA schools and provides a list of AACSB-accredited online MBA programs.
- U.S. News and World Report have a University Directory in which users can search for MBA programs by school name, degree level, category, subject, and instruction delivery method.
- College Navigator allows users to search for advanced degree programs by major and location and provides details concerning accreditation and graduate enrollment.